information provided by the Illinois State Fire Marshal
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (July 2018) – The Illinois State Fire Marshal offers these safety tips to users of barbecue grills and fire pits:
- When grilling out this summer, keep in mind that propane and charcoal grills should be used well away from the house and deck railings, and should be kept out from under leaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep your grill clean and remove all grease or fat build-up to help prevent accidental fires.
- Keep a close eye on children and pets around grills.
- If campfires are permitted on campgrounds, be sure they are set at least 25 feet away from any hanging clothing, debris, or structures that can burn.
- Before lighting a campfire, clear away dry leaves, sticks, low branches, and shrubs.
- Avoid burning on windy or dry days—both can cause a fire to get out of control quickly.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Keep a hose, bucket of water, or shovel and dirt/sand near an open fire for quick extinguishing.
- Be sure a fire is completely extinguished before leaving the site.
Share the news—