April 27, 9:00am–1:00pm
information provided by Thornton Township
HARVEY, Ill. (April 16, 2019) – The Thornton Township Food and General Assistance Center (15340 Page Ave., Harvey, Illinois) will host a Community Resource Fair for residents who may be having trouble paying their energy bills? A variety of community resources will be on site, along with access to various programs. In addition, representatives from Nicor Gas’s and ComEd’s Energy Efficiency programs will be available to answer questions and provide participants with free energy-saving kits.
These financial assistance programs are available for customers struggling to pay their natural gas and electric bills:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides financial assistance through grants that do not need to be repaid.
- Nicor Gas Sharing Program provides one-time annual grants that do not need to be repaid.
- ComEd Residential Hardship Program—income-eligible, residential customers can apply once every two years for grants of up to $500, based on need and availability of program funds. Grant amounts may vary while funds are available.
- CHAMP–Proud of Our Military, Proud to Help is a financial assistance program that offers an optional package of benefits to qualified military personnel who reside within ComEd’s service territory and have fallen behind on their electric bill.
- ComEd Nonprofit Special Hardship Program provides grants of up to $2,000, once every two years, to eligible nonprofit organizations.
Applications for these programs will be taken during the Community Resource Fair, but only from 9:00am–12:30pm.
The following documents will be needed as part of the application process:
- Proof of current 30-day gross income for all household members
- Copy of most recent natural gas and electric bills if you pay for your home energy directly (Must provide entire bill)
- Proof of Social Security Numbers for all household members (hard copy of Social Security cards, print-out from Social Security Administration, or any other form of government-issued identification that shows both name and Social Security number)
- Applicants who have their utilities included in the rent must bring proof of rental agreement stating monthly rental amount, that utilities are included, and landlord contact information. (Rent cost must be greater than 30% of household 30-day gross income)
- Medical Eligibility Card for any household members who receive TANF