Partners with Big John’s to benefit the Lansing community
by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (May 15, 2019) – The Lansing Business Women’s Association (LBWA) is trying a new way to raise funds this year. They are working with Big John’s Farm Market and Greenhouse in Chicago Heights to make flowers available through a mutually beneficial program that works like this:
- Big John’s provides five types of flowers at a reduced price. Their Premium 12″ Hanging Geranium Basket, for example, normally sells for $29.99. The partnership price with LBWA is $28.00.
- LBWA members distribute a flyer that lists the five items and their prices. People choose the quantity they want of each, add up the total, and then write a check to LBWA for that amount.
- In exchange for the check, LBWA gives the customer flower vouchers to be used at Big John’s.
- The customer goes to Big John’s (1754 E Joe Orr Road, Chicago Heights) to choose the specific flowers and colors they want, using the vouchers to pay.
- Big John’s donates a percentage of the flower price to LBWA.
“They are the nicest people,” said LBWA member JoEllyn Kelley about Big John’s. “They are just so generous.” She is planning to purchase vouchers for all the flowers she’ll plant around her restaurant, JJ Kelley’s, this year.
The goal for the spring fundraiser is to raise $1,000, and as of mid-May more than $500 has been raised. The money will be used to benefit the Lansing Veterans Memorial Ceremonial Honor Guard.
The Flower Sale Fundraiser will end sometime in June. Flower selections include:
- Premium 12″ Hanging Geranium Basket—$28
- Premium 10″ Hanging Basket—$19
- Standard 10″ Hanging Basket—$15
- Flats (48 plants)—$12
- 4-1/2″ Premium Annuals—$4
Vouchers can be purchased from any Lansing Business Women’s Association member, at locations such as JJ Kelley’s, the Lansing Public Library, the Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce, and more.